Howto: Extract models & textures - GW2
Pretty simple, and straight forward. To do this you're going to need GW2Browser. You can get the source code here if your feeling adventurous.
1. Now that you've downloaded GW2Browser. Extract it some place you can easily access it.
2. Run the executable, and click File > Open.
3. Now navigate to your GW2.dat file which should be in the Guild Wars 2 root folder. Example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\
4. Wait a few moments while GW2Browser loads the files.
Once everything loads the folder names should be straight forward. Most players, and NPC textures are in "Textures > Generic textures." File names are a sequence of numbers, but GW2Browser has a built in file previewer.
5. To extract a file, or folder, simply right click on it.
6. You'll have two options, "extract (x) files...", and "Extract (x) files (raw).
The first option will convert the files to a common format. Textures will be .png and models .obj
Second one will give you the raw file, as is.
That is all there is to it. You can only read from the .dat file, you cannot write to it.
Last edited by shnoobins; 06-16-2013 at 11:15 PM.